The Los Angeles born band recently started their latest tour alongside Seattle band Versing. The tour comes in support of their latest album, Duress, out now via Wichita Records.
1. You are well in to this tour now; how has it been going? Any new cities? Is there a particular reason for the final standalone date in the Netherlands?
Today is only day 3 of tour but its great so far. We’re happy to have Versing from Seattle touring with us. They are one of our favorite bands and super chill guys. Europe is a full tour, I think we just announced that show before the other ones.
2. This album comes after a hiatus. Was that break spent on the album, touring, what have you guys been up to?
Joojoo was mostly working on the album by himself, and working on a lot of other music for himself and other bands. Cameron was playing drums in Wild Nothing, and Jeremy was doing sound for a bunch of bands on the road.
3. A dry, sardonic humor seems so prevalent for Froth inside and out of the music. Between having casually funny songs like placing importance on the Yanny/Laurel debate, and having played the Saint Lauren’s Fashion Show a few years ago, is this eclectic mindset one you all have together or individually (if you would call eclectic at all)?
We’re a pretty goofy group in general, and I think that always plays into the lyrics of the songs and the track titles. We definitely don’t take ourselves very seriously and like to bring our dumb humor into the music as an inside joke to ourselves.
4. What was it like doing that fashion show?
It was pretty insane, that happened before we had ever toured or really played outside of LA so the whole experience was pretty shocking to all of us.
5. Before diving into the album too deeply, how did the collaboration with The Courtney’s Courtney Garvin come about for the “Laurel” music video?
We had become friends with the Courtneys because we did a small run of shows together in Europe in 2017. Courtney ended up moving to LA and Joojoo had been hanging out with her a lot and working on music with her. We knew she was a sick animator and Joojoo mentioned the idea of doing a video. She actually came up with that concept from a dream she had.
6. The new album was described as “experimental” and “shoegaze.” Do you agree with this? What if anything specifically, are you wanting or hoping to feel or take away from the music?
We have no expectations besides hoping that people enjoy it, and really aren’t concerned with what genre it falls into. We usually just make music that we think is cool without thinking about what people will call it.
7. I picked up on a darker under current of maybe melancholy that existed within the album along with some mellow and relaxed tones. Would you agree and if so was it on purpose?
There wasn’t really any premeditated vibe for the new album besides maybe pulling influence from different types of music than we used to. We usually just make songs continuously and they always sound different than the ones we made in the past. The tones being more relaxed is maybe a product of using less effects on the guitars and synths.
8. Do you have any comments about the tour, the album, the band, or life in general?
Listen to Versing.
Froth Tour Dates:
5/29: Olympia, WA @ Capitol Theatre #
5/30: Portland, OR @ Doug Fir *early show, all ages* #
5/30: Portland, OR @ Doug Fir *late show* # (Sold Out)
5/31: Spokane, WA @ Volume Fest
6/1: Seattle, WA @ Crocodile #
6/3: Victoria, BC @ Copper Owl #
6/4: Vancouver, BC @ Clubhouse #
6/7: Los Angeles, CA @ Lodge Room, Desert Daze Presents $
6/19: Las Vegas, NV @ Bunkhouse *
6/20: Phoenix, AZ @ Valley Bar *
6/21: El Paso, TX @Love Buzz *
6/22: San Antonio, TX @Lime Light *
6/23: Austin, TX @ Barracuda *
6/24: Dallas, TX @ Club Dada *
6/25: Houston, TX @ Satellite *
6/26: Memphis, TN @ Hi Tone Cafe *
6/28: Madison, WI @ UW-Madison *
6/29: Chicago, IL @ Logan Square Arts Festival *
6/30: Columbus, OH @ Ace of Cups *
7/2: Washington, DC @ Comet Ping Pong *
7/3: Brooklyn, NY @ Elsewhere Rooftop * %
7/5: Somerville, MA @ ONCE Ballroom *
7/6: Montreal, QC @ Bar Le Ritz *
7/7: Toronto, ON @ Baby G *
7/8: Detroit, MI @ UFO Factory *
7/10: Sioux Falls, SD @ Total Drag *
7/12: Denver, CO @ Globe Hall *
8/23: Eindhoven, Netherlands @ Fuzz Club Festival
By Antonio Villaseñor-Baca