Machine Girl strikes again with their latest independent release U-Void Synthesizer. While their last album, The Ugly Art (released in October 2018), served as the pinnacle of their electronic hardcore sound, U-Void Synthesizer is a brutal onslaught of electronic chaos that throws the listener into a dance-crazed descent with its wicked instrumental composition mixed with metal, grind, and electro-punk genres.
Vocalist and producer Matt Stephenson delivers with his signature screams and wails, but shakes it up with some dronic singing during “The Fortress” and guttural growls during the intro of “On Coming”. Drummer Sean Kelly returns to supply his notable energetic live drumming for the album as well.
The album is the perfect soundtrack to a futuristic dystopia ala “Genocyber” or “MD Geist” and is laced with violent, sludgy electronic melodies all throughout while each track stands out on its own thanks to the subgenres mixed in. Though some tracks are absolute headbangers like “Blood Magic”, “Splatter!”, and “Fully In It”, the album contains grooving dark rave beats such as “Scroll of Sorrow”.
There are others that are reminiscent of the sound Machine Girl is known for like “Suck Shit”, but is redefined into something better and ever-changing. Every Machine Girl album features influences of various electronic subgenres and stands out on their own, never being the same as the last alum. This can be said especially for U-Void Synthesizer , standing out from The Ugly Art and transforming MG’s musical amalgamation into something different with its abrasive yet consistent flow, but still leaving an impression on fans and new listeners alike.
Machine Girl will be touring with Code Orange this spring starting on March 30th.
Machine Girl Tour Dates:
– Mon. March 30th – Boston, MA @ Paradise Rock Club
– Wed. April 1st – Philadelphia, PA @ TLA
– Thu. April 2nd – Virginia Beach, VA @ Peabody’s Nightclub
– Fri. April 3rd – Atlanta, GA @ The Masquerade
– Sat. April 4th – Pensacola, FL @ Vinyl Music Hall
– Tue. April 7th – Austin, TX @ Mohawk Austin
– Thu. April 9th – Mesa, AZ @ The Nile
– Sat. April 11th – San Francisco, CA @ Slim’s
– Sun. April 12th – Portland, OR @ Hawthorne Theatre
– Mon. April 13th – Seattle, WA @ Neumos
– Wed. April 15th – Sacramento, CA @ Harlow’s
– Thu. April 16th – Los Angeles, CA @ El Rey
– Mon. April 20th – Salt Lake City, UT @ The Complex
– Tue. April 21st – Denver, CO @ Marquis Theater
– Thu. April 23rd – Chicago, IL @ Bottom Lounge
– Fri. April 24th – Detroit, MI @ Magic Stick
By Andrea Sandoval